On Air
No Program

national

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Man dies after eating gas station nachos

A man who contracted botulism, a rare and deadly poisoning, after consuming nachos purchased at a California gas station has died.

>> Read more trending news 

Martin Galindo, 37, was one of 10 people hospitalized after eating contaminated nacho cheese sauce at Valley Oak Food and Fuel in Walnut Grove, California, near Sacramento.

A GoFundMe account for Galindo said he was in the hospital for weeks, where he was on a ventilator, fell into a coma and was pronounced brain dead. He was a husband and father of two, according to the account.

The California Department of Public Health found toxins released by bacteria that cause the illness in cheese sauce that was sold at the gas station. The sauce was removed from the gas station May 5.

>> Previous story: At least 5 contract botulism, potentially fatal poisoning, from gas station nachos

Lavinia Kelly, a mother of three who ate nacho cheese from Food and Fuel on April 21, has been in intensive care for more than three weeks. She has been unable to open her eyes or perform motor functions.

“While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety,” said CDPH director and state public health officer Karen Smith. 

According to the California Department of Public Health, the toxin that causes botulism can be found in foods that are not properly processed or stored.

“As we head into the summer barbecue season, both indoor and outdoor chefs need to be on guard against all food-borne illnesses,” Smith said.

Botulism symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, difficulty speaking, drooping eyelids, blurry vision, slurred speech and paralysis.

Between 5 and 10 percent of botulism cases are fatal, according to the World Health Organization.

The poisoning is rare; only 15 food-borne cases of botulism were reported 2014.

Florida man pepper-sprayed, arrested after attack on elderly man

A Florida man was pepper-sprayed and arrested after police deemed he was the aggressor in a physical confrontation with a 79-year-old man, according to an arrest report.

>> Read more trending news

Edwin William Cunningham, 51, is facing a charge of battery on a person 65 or older and was released from the Palm Beach County Jail on Sunday on his own recognizance.

The dispute took place Saturday at the Boca Raton Community Center during a kids’ baseball game. Cunningham told Boca Raton police he was shouting instructions to his sons when the elderly man suddenly pepper-sprayed him in the face, the report said.

The elderly man told police Cunningham has been aggressive toward him in the past. On Saturday, the alleged victim was sitting in the bleachers with Cunningham’s ex-wife when he saw Cunningham rapidly advancing at him, the report said.

Cunningham allegedly put his hands on the man’s shoulder, who responded by unleashing his pepper spray.

Two witnesses supported the elderly man’s version of the events and Cunningham was arrested.

Bill Cosby lawyers criticize lack of minority jury candidates

With 100 people questioned, attorneys for comedian Bill Cosby say the jury pool is overwhelmingly white and prosecutors are trying to keep black jurors off the panel.

>> Read more trending news

Cosby's lawyers say of the 100 candidates already questioned, only 16 weren't white. Prosecutors have used their strikes to send two black women home, although they say race was not a factor in those decisions.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Steven O'Neill has rejected defense attorneys' allegations of race bias.

Currently, 11 people have been chosen for the jury so far. Ten are white, and one is black. Seven are men, the rest women. One more juror and six more alternates need to be selected.

The third day of jury selection at the Allegheny County Courthouse, Downtown, begins this morning, and Cosby is expected to be present again.

 

Man jumps on car hood to prevent teen from stealing car

A 15-year-old boy attempted to steal a car Wednesday morning from a Marathon gas station in west Charlotte, North Carolina, according to police.

>> Read more trending news

Police said the suspect attempted to steal a car around 12:45 a.m. when the owner left it running on West Trade Street while he went inside the gas station.

The owner of the vehicle saw the car being stolen and jumped on the hood of the vehicle.

The suspect attempted to eject the victim, but crashed the car. He attempted to run from the scene.

A man at the gas station saw the victim jump on the car as the teen was stealing it. Al Deas said he was at the gas station, buying Kool-Aid, when he jumped in to help the victim hold the suspect.

"I come to get Kool-Aid, and I end up catching a carjacker," Deas said.

The suspect was not armed. No one was injured.

The suspect was charged with motor vehicle theft, but because of his age, his name will not be released. 

Woman shot in forehead survives after bullet exits skull

A woman said robbers shot her in the head while walking down a busy street in Atlanta’s affluent Buckhead district.

Doctors say it's a miracle she's still alive.

>> Read more trending news

The woman and her fiancé told WSB-TV’s Matt Johnson they always felt safe in their own neighborhood, but with a potential serial robber on the loose, everything has changed.

“I think his intention was to shoot me in the face,” the woman told Johnson, asking not to be identified.

The Buckhead woman thought she would need more than bandages a day after an armed robber shot her in the head.

“It went in one way and came out. There’s an entry wound and an exit. It didn’t penetrate my skull,” the woman said.

Atlanta police investigated the scene Saturday morning on East Paces Ferry Road.

The couple said they were walking home from a show just before 3 a.m. Armed robbers jumped out of a red SUV and pointed a gun at them.

“It was pointed between my eyebrows and maybe an inch or two away,” the woman said.

She said her instinct was self-defense.

“My reaction was to get it out of my face, and I think that’s what saved my life,” the woman told Johnson.

The bullet went through her forehead. It exited her head somewhere near her temple.

Atlanta police believe the same robbers may have shot someone else on Gresham Road in East Atlanta less than an hour later.

In that case, police said the robbers got out of a red SUV and wanted the victim to strip. When he tried to fight back, the robbers shot him in the leg. 

There is concern the robbing crew will strike again.

“To go a couple of miles and do the same thing to someone else just after you shot somebody, shoot them, too, that's insane,” the woman said.

Atlanta police have ordered a look out for a red GMC Yukon or a Chevy Tahoe with black tinted windows and a silver strip on the bottom.

Implant in bicep presents alternative opioid treatment

Few doctors in the Seattle area are prescribing Probuphine, but one who is offering the new implant finds it a welcome choice for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence.

 

Dr. Barbara Mendrey said she currently has two patients on Probuphine, which involves surgically placing four, one-inch sticks just below the skin on the arm. The implant, approved last year by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, is meant to stay there six months during which it releases a steady flow of medication.

 

Mendrey said the implant works best for people who are already in recovery and who have been stable on about 4 to 8 mg of Suboxone and have paired the medication with counseling. Suboxone is a drug prescribed by doctors to wean patients off of opioids in a controlled manner.

 

One of Mendrey’s patients is Jason Fry.

 

“I should have been dead thousands of times,” Fry said.

>> Read more trending news

 

Fry, 42, told KIRO 7 that he was first introduced to opioids as a 12-year-old, when he was prescribed medicine after surgery. Three years later, he tore a ligament in his ankle playing sports in school, after which he was again prescribed strong pain-killers like Hydrocodone.

 

“It was like an instant love addiction,” Fry said. “Just a powerful thing. And it just kind of snowballed and grew and grew and grew.”

 

He said the problem grew until he could take up to 50 Vicodin pills a day without much effect. He said he sometimes stole pills or went to Canada to buy them, though most of his supply came from prescriptions.

 

“It’s like a little devil sitting on your shoulder, and he runs the show,” Fry said.

 

After years of addiction, Fry said his wife at the time laid out all of his pill bottles, which covered the entire dining room table. He was urged to seek treatment, so he went to a facility in Idaho for more than a month.

 

“I was so done living that way. It was exhausting. It’s like this spider web of lies,” he said.

 

Fry came back to the Seattle area and began treatments of Suboxone.

 

About six months ago, Mendrey told Fry about the possibility of implants in his arm. He had the surgery done two months ago.

 

Fry said the prospect of trying a solution that not many people have experienced is exciting.

 

While there is little research to show what should be done the implant has run its course for six months, Mendrey said the manufacturer, Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, recommends replacing it with another implant.

 

But if the patient wants to wean off Suboxone entirely, Mendrey said it’s possible to remove the implant and go back to the pill-form of the medication in lower dosage.

 

The benefit of the implant is that it cannot be stolen, accidentally accessed by children, forgotten, or misplaced.

 

Mendrey said patients who are on Suboxone sometimes feel fine and mistakenly stop taking the medication. This causes severe withdrawal symptoms. The implant prevents that scenario.

 

“Some people view it as a crutch. It’s not a cure. It’s a treatment,” Mendrey said. She said that people using this narcotic in a controlled, legal manner, at a low dose, makes them functioning members of society, compared to opiate addicts who may abuse prescriptions or attempt to obtain drugs illegally.

 

The out-of-pocket cost for Probuphine can be more than $4,000 for the six-month implant.

Mendrey, who is not being compensated by Braeburn Pharmaceuticals, said the company has been working with insurance companies and offers a program for people who cannot afford the medication.

Restaurant worker fired for allegedly writing 'cops,' 'pigs' on police officer's receipt

An employee at New Jersey’s Romanelli’s Garden Cafe is out of a job after allegedly leaving an offensive message on a police officer’s receipt, according to WCAU.

>> Watch the news report here

A photo of the receipt circulated social media, showing the words “cops,” “pigs” and “puercos” — which means “pigs” in Spanish — written on the officer’s bill.

The restaurant owner was quick to respond to the incident, posting a message on Facebook in which he said the note was written by one of his employees and called the worker's behavior “gross and disrespectful.”

>> Read more trending news

“I wanted to reach to everyone and apologize about an earlier post about a receipt that was handed over to police officer,” the owner wrote on the cafe’s Facebook page. “I find this very gross and disrespectful. We have reprimanded the employees involved. We support our local police department and all forms of law enforcement. I am the owner I have grown up in this town and I have always relied on the local police dept. to keep my self and my family and friends safe. I would appreciate it you could understand our frustrating situation. We would like to just let let everyone know we do not condone this type of behavior here.”

>> See the post here

In a reply in the comments section, the owner explained that the restaurant “handled this with termination,” indicating that the employee in question was fired.

'Wrestling moves’ kill toddler, police say; mother, boyfriend charged

A Missouri couple is facing charges after a 2-year-old died after her mother’s boyfriend performed what he called “wrestling moves” on the little girl.

Police and EMTs responded to a call last week that a child was having seizures. She was taken to a Jefferson County hospital where she later died, KTVI reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Police said that the unnamed girl had obvious signs of trauma when they responded to the home. 

Police eventually arrested the girl’s mother, Cheyenne Cook, 19, and her boyfriend, Richard Gamache Jr., 24, accusing them of torturing the toddler, KTVI reported.

Police said that Gamache used what they called “wrestling moves,” including a “Batista Bomb,” on the 2-year-old, KTVI reported.

Police told the television station they also found evidence that the couple tried to hide signs of abuse.

Police said that Cook knew about the abuse but did not intervene or get medical help for her daughter, KTVI reported.

Gamache was charged with abuse of neglect of a child and was granted a $500,000 cash-only bail, St. Louis Post Dispatch reported. Cook was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and has a $2,500 cash-only bail.

Massive landslide blocks scenic California highway

Part of California’s famed Pacific Coast Highway is covered in dirt and rocks after a landslide covered the highway near Big Sur.

>> Read more trending news

Many believe that PCH is one of the country’s most scenic drives in the country, but more than a million tons of dirt has buried between a quarter to a third of a mile of California State Route 1 in about 35 feet of dirt, CNN reported.

The landslide also fell into the ocean.

The highway has been closed, and officials are not sure when it will reopen.

No one was injured in the landslide. Officials had closed the highway before the slide because crews had been trying to remove dirt from an earlier slide. Work had been stopped, and equipment had been removed before this weekend’s slide because of threats of more landslides, CNN reported.

7 things to know now: Manchester bomber; Trump meets pope; bodies found in Everest tent; Jon Stewart

Here's a roundup of news trending across the nation and the world today.

What to know now:

1. Suspected bomber named: Police in England said Tuesday that Salman Abedi, 22, was the suicide bomber who killed 22 and injured nearly 60 when he detonated a bomb at an arena in Manchester. Abedi did not act alone when he attacked the crowd as they left a concert by pop singer Ariana Grande, the country’s home secretary said. Manchester police have arrested four men in connection with the bombing.

2. Trump meets pope: President Donald Trump met and exchanged gifts with Pope Francis Wednesday. The two had never met in person but exchanged tweets during the past year. Pope Frances attacked Trump’s plan for a wall along the U.S./Mexico border, and Trump said the pope “would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President” if and when the Vatican is attacked by the Islamic State group.

3. Brennan testifies: John Brennan, the former director of the CIA, told Congress Tuesday that he personally told Russian officials to stop meddling in the U.S. election. Brennan said he could not say whether anyone in Trump’s campaign had colluded with Russian officials, but he warned the Russians amid growing concerns over their contacts with people in Trump’s campaign.

4. Bodies found in tent: The bodies of four climbers were found inside a tent on Mount Everest Wednesday, according to authorities in Nepal. The tent had been pitched at the highest camp on the mountain. The bodies were discovered when a team of rescuers arrived to remove the body of a Slovak climber who died over the weekend. Ten people have died on Everest this climbing season.

5. No Jon Stewart show: HBO will not be producing a new show from comedian Jon Stewart. The show, a short-form digital animated project, proved to be too difficult to produce and distribute “given the quick turnaround and topical nature of the material," a joint statement from Stewart and HBO read. The statement said the network has other projects planned with Stewart.

And one moreSean Hannity said Tuesday that he would no longer talk about the 2016 shooting death of Seth Rich, a Democratic National Committee employee. The move came after Fox News removed a story about Rich’s death from its website, claiming "it was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting." The report suggested a link between Rich and the publication by WikiLeaks of thousands of emails from the DNC. Hannity had talked about Rich’s death but said he would no longer do that after Rich’s family requested that he stop.In case you missed it

 

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >