Surfside condo collapse: Judge says families to get minimum of $150M in compensation

MIAMI — A Florida judge on Wednesday said victims affected by the deadly early morning collapse of the Champlain Towers South condo building in Surfside will get a minimum initial compensation of $150 million, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news

The compensation includes insurance on the building and proceeds expected from the sale of the property where the Champlain Towers South previously stood, the AP reported, citing Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Michael Hanzman.

“The court’s concern has always been the victims here,” the judge said Wednesday at a court hearing, according to the AP, adding that the victims include visitors and renters as well as condo owners. “Their rights will be protected.”

Several lawsuits have been filed since the 12-story Champlain Towers South partially collapsed in the pre-dawn hours of June 24, as many of the building’s residents were sleeping. Authorities said 55 of the building’s 136 units were affected. At least 95 people have since been confirmed dead in the collapse, according to Miami-Dade County officials.

>> Related: Surfside condo collapse: Death toll rises to 95; 14 remain unaccounted for

The $150 million minimum shared Wednesday by Hanzman does not include proceeds from any other lawsuits filed since the building collapse, according to the AP.

Officials continue to investigate the cause of the collapse.

On AirCountry Legends 97.1FM - Houston's Home for Country Legends! Logo

mobile apps

Everything you love about countrylegends971.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!